Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Balance?


Recently I downloaded Francis Chan's latest book, "Forgotten God" on I-tunes. It was some of the best money I have spent on I-tunes to date. In fact, I loved it so much I went out and bought the book. It is that good!!

It is about the role of the Holy Spirit in our lives as Christians. It is absolutely life changing!!!


There is part of a paragraph that I'd like to share with you. It is from the introduction and on page 20. Yep page 20. I know, right at the beginning of the book. These next few sentences started a conversation in my heart that is still ongoing today.

"Some of you would like it if I said we were going to find a healthy balance between unhealthy extremes. That's not what we're going to do. When we are referring to God, balance is a huge mistake. God is not just one thing we add to the mix called life. He wants an invitation from us to permeate everything and every part of us. In the same way, seeking a "healthy balance" of the Holy Spirit assumes that there are some who have too much Holy Spirit and others who have too little. I have yet to meet anyone with too much Holy Spirit." Francis Chan from "Forgotten God"

I have always thought that life would go better if I made sure to have a balance. Ya know, God, family, friends, activities, get it all in balance. Those first three sentences above has totally ROCKED my world!!! I do not need to balance God out in my life, He is to be my life!!

What if God was the norm? Instead of trying to fit Him around everything we do, He was in the center and everything else fit around Him. So that is what I have started doing in my life and I have found that everything else fits, well not everything, because quite honestly there are just some things that don't fit and some things I have had to say no to. But I have found the strength to do just that, because God is first. He is directing me like never before in my life. It is such a beautiful thing!!

1 Corinthians 2:4-5 (New International Version)

"4My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, 5so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power."

Don't you just love the Word of God. Paul is talking here and he is saying that the message that he preached was not with wise or persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power.... If there is one thing that I have learned during this current season in my life, it is that wise and persuasive words don't get you anywhere without the Spirit guiding them. It is God who makes the difference not me and my words. I have had to learn that. the.hard.way.

The balanced woman at this point would put the book down and opt for something a little more, well, balanced in it's approach. But not this woman. God has lead me to it in this season in my life for a purpose and a reason. It didn't come to me by way of recommendation. Nobody bought it for me as a gift. God brought me to it. Amazing!!! And just what I needed at just the right time.

There is so much more I could (and probably will =) say about this book, but for now let me leave you with this:

"The flip side of fearing that God won't show up is fearing that He will. What if God does show up but then asks you to go somewhere or do something that's uncomfortable? For many people, fearing that God will ask them to go in a difficult, undesirable direction outweighs the fear that God will ignore them." Francis Chan, "Forgotten God" page 51

Living out of balance for God can be frightening. If I put Him first and truly strive to do His will, what will He ask of me? And can I do it? I am finding that He will give me the strength. Even the strength for the impossible. I am finding that out; right now today. Strength to do the possible and impossible all come from God. He is in all and is all!!!

So consider being bold today for God. Step out from behind the podium of balancing everything perfectly in your life, and embrace the life that God created you for. You were created to bring Him glory. So step out and bring Him glory child!!!!!

Love you so ~~ have a Super Blessed day,

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this friend! I so need to read that book. I have been pondering the Holy Spirit more and more in my quiet time. And thank you for your words. It is so encouraging and such a blessing to know that I am not alone in my search for living for God. Blessings, Hope

    ReplyDelete
  2. First thing that came to mind - if we think anything can balance out God, then its giving that "thing" WAY too much credit! There is NOTHING that can match up to our God! We can put EVERYTHING, our possessions, our family, our finances, the world - & its still not going to balance the scale of how powerful or how big the LOVE of God is...

    I also love the other quote... they always say - "Be careful what you pray for - you just may get it"... so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for giving me a whole new perspective on the genealogies in the old testament. :)

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luke is reading this book right now and really likes it. I am anxious to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I’ve noticed that you’ve blogged about Forgotten God, by Francis Chan. As you may know, we have just released a Forgotten God DVD Study Resource. Because of your wonderful blog post about the book, I’d like to offer you a free copy of the DVD to review. Please email me your address, and I’d be happy to send it. Thanks!

    Angela.Ralston@davidccook.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I’ve noticed that you’ve blogged about Forgotten God, by Francis Chan. As you may know, we have just released a Forgotten God DVD Study Resource. Because of your wonderful blog post about the book, I’d like to offer you a free copy of the DVD to review. Please email me your address, and I’d be happy to send it. Thanks!

    Angela.Ralston@davidccook.com

    ReplyDelete