Thursday, July 23, 2009

This Woman's Work

Last night on SYTYCD was one of those moments that will stay with you.

Melissa and Ade danced a comtemporary piece to "This Woman's Work" and it was one of the most powerful dances I have ever seen. I lost a friend just a few months older than I, to breast cancer at the age of 38. I have a picture that hangs in between my kitchen and living room that she gave to me as a gift several years ago. This piece really hit home to me.

This to me was a tribute to my friend Shelly who died of breast cancer three years ago, and to my friend Cassie who died of bone cancer 4 months ago and to my mom who has fought cancer twice and today is cancer free, but still has to have many check ups and port flushes and deals with the reality that it could come back again. These people are my heroes for their valiant fight and struggle.

I'm sure we all know someone who is dealing, has dealt with, or lost their battle with this disease. This is an important piece of work. Please grab a tissue and watch. I just posted the dance, but if you want to see the longer version with the rehersal and the comments by the judges please go to youtube and watch. The comments are powerful.




We're off to get mom's port flush today, yes another reality of living with cancer.

Love and Blessings to you,


6 comments:

  1. Dawn,

    I too watched it and cried as the judges poured out their hearts in this wonderful dance! Isn't it something that something like a dance could provoke so many wonderful and cleansing emotions?

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my.... I bawled like a baby! The dance alone was SOOO powerful - where she beats his chest in anger - & the way he caught her in the air... & the way he put her on his shoulders to carry on at the end... PLUS, the words to that song!!!

    And then to see Nigel & then MIA so emotional... Oh my goodness... if you've ever dealt with cancer in a loved one personally, that had to hit your heart strings...

    I've watched this dance probably 20 times today... get teary eyed each time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing that video. I lost both of my parents to cancer. Maybe some day -God Willing-some one will find a cure.

    Give your mom a (((HUG))) for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We need to bind together in prayer against the horrible disease of cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My love and prayers are with you and your family. My love and hugs to your Mom!

    Stay strong in the LORD dear sister.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete