Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Click

Okay, so yes I know this is to be the post of CRAZY amounts of pictures of Sir Cuteness' 1st B-day party, but I just have something on my heart this morning that I'd like to share with ya'll. And today is "going to the fair day" with my mama and the youngin's (Dak and Alyssa), so I'm a little pressed for time at 5:48 IN THE MORNING!!! :0)




Okay, so this one in above picture (how cute is this child teen?) rocks my world ~~ I mean rocks it!!! Both in an exciting way and a "hey slow this train down" kind of way!! He challenges me to be the best person, and mama, I can be. Because after all I am his mama and NOT his friend at school (but that my friends, is an entirely different post =)

Well, because he is a teen, and I am a God-fearing mama, we talk a lot about the Lord. I try to encourage him at every juncture and try to teach him the ways of God, but there is no teacher like the Holy Spirit, let me just tell ya. I can only do so much. And there have been times (many unfortunately) that I have tried to be the voice of the Spirit to my son. Now yes I know that God can and does use me, but there are times when I need to let it be and let God move. Ya know? Lately, God has been so empowering me to do just that. I have been backing off of the "in my own power" kind of nonsense and been relying on the Lord to show this sweet child His heart.

We have been studying Timothy together, and it has been wonderful. I and II Timothy are the last two letters written by Paul before his martyrdom. And they are powerful. If you need some practical umpppffff to your life, give them a read. We have found them, yes to be practical, but oh my stars, motivational. Let me give you an example of our reading. Dak read this yesterday.

II Timothy 2:22-23 "Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart. 23 Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels."

When you are a teen, you don't really think too much about the "evil desires of youth" you just want what you want. What a powerful message to read right here in the dear book of Timothy. It was eye opening to Dak to see right here in Scripture that some of the desires of youth are just purely evil and must be stayed away from. Yep this is a good time in the Word, let me tell you.

Well, the other night, we had turned in for the night and Dak was in his bed reading. I'd gotten up for something and he called me to his room. There he set, propped up with pillows, Bible in hand, and said, "Mom, it clicked." HALLELUJAH!!!

This child loves Ephesians. Has for a long time. We had him start reading Ephesians when struggles of the teenage variety started rearing their ugly head. Our kid's need to know that this battle they are facing is Spiritual in nature and that God gives us Spiritual armor with which to battle. God is so gracious and loving and He also teaches us, through His Word, how to fight the enemy. Our kid's need to know this.

When Dak was little, we got him some armor at CPO (Christian Publisher's Outlet), and yes it was the Armor of God. The Breastplate had "Righteousness" on it, and the Belt had "Truth" on it and so forth. It came with all the Armor pieces from Ephesian's 6 complete with the "Shield of Faith" and the "Sword of the Spirit". Dak played and played with this, and then when his little friends of cousins would come over, they'd all play with it together. I don't know if they still make this, but if you are the mama of an itty-bitty, it is definitely worth looking into. Dak still remembers that armor. So GREAT!!!

Well, Dak said it clicked. "Mom, our struggle is not against flesh and blood. It's against the evil in this world." And then he said, "And when I've done all I can do to stand, God says to Stand.Firm.Then." "Mom it clicked. I get it!!" Again, HALLELUJAH!!!

Last night Dak went for a run and when he got back I asked if he was alright, and he said yes, he just needed some time with God. When I inquired more, he just said "I was thinking Ephesians." I love this kid!!!

If you have children, itty-bitty's or teens or in between, get them in the Word. Don't just take them to church on Sunday, (oh but please take them to church), but also live your life sold out to Christ right before their eyes, and help them to live their lives for Christ daily as well.

I love it when things click. And this is also a DIRECT answer to prayer!! D and I have been praying that some things would "click" with Dak. Yep, God is good!!!!!

Have a Blessed and Beautiful day,

4 comments:

  1. AMEN!!!!! To all you said!!!!

    Yes - get them in the word... so even when they stray (& who doesnt) - they have it in their heart to turn to & COME BACK!!!!

    Timothy is so good for teens to read too with him being a young fellow himself....

    So glad Dak is "clicking" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn,

    It is amazing that you have such an incredible relationship with Dak. Most parents today simply don't have the time or want to have time, to share the Bible with their kids.

    I am so glad that our daughter brings all her needs and concerns to us. She even shares to her friends, that she is not embarrassed or afraid to bring anything to us.

    We remember what our teen years looked like and have vowed to always keep those lines of communication open, no matter what she hands us.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this, Dawn! You are so encouraging and I love how God's Word is so powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those moments!! You and Dak are SO close... you'll be amazed at what the future holds for you too. You're a great Mom!

    ReplyDelete