Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pressing on ........... and Gilligan!!!

One year ago today, I was in the hospital at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester awaiting surgery that would definitely change things for us.

I have not updated on my knee in a while, and so in an attempt to remember that day and the year that has followed, I will do my best to update and not complain be uplifting to you. God has given me so much hope and so built my faith since this day a year ago.

The surgery came after a failed surgery the February before. I had a lateral release, Feb 22, 2008 (my 5th knee surgery) in hopes that it would resolve the very painful locking and burning that was happening in my knee. Unfortunately, it did not. So out of options, the doc referred me to the Mayo Clinic.

Getting referred to Mayo is a process. They have a team of docs that are assigned to your case. They review it, look over any records and radiology reports and films sent and then decide as a team, if they will take your case on. In my case, they did. So after that is determined then appointments were sent and travel plans were made and last October we were on our way to Mayo with much hope of getting this knee back on the road to recovery.

After tests and analysis, the docs decided that I was a good candidate for PFA Patella Femoral Athroplasty. Which is where they replace half of the kneecap and all of the grove. It is not a surgery that is done a lot. I think I was number 45 for the Mayo Clinic and they only have statistics for the last seven years (how long they've preformed this surgery). So long term prognosis over many years is still yet to be determined.

So, one year ago today my sweet hubby wheeled me into the hospital, and so it began. I remember a lot from this day BEFORE the surgery, but not so much after. I do remember in recovery that I had NO temperature. That was weird. They put this insulated bag thing over my body and then piped warm air through it until my temp started coming back. And then I just remember my husband rubbing my head and telling me that the surgery went well. The knee was definitely in rough shape, but the surgery was complete and now it was time to heal.

The healing has proved to be a very long process, one of which I am still working on today, even as I type. It hurts every single day, and sometimes threatens to make me quite cranky, but I press on. It no longer locks or burns and for that I am so thankful. Yes there are new challenges, but they are challenges that we try to tackle head on each time a new one comes up. Currently my leg and ankle are swelling and hurting and just generally being a pain =) but again, we press on.

The biggest thing I want you to gain from this post is this: GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME!!! AND ALL THE TIME GOD IS GOOD!!!!!!!!! He has shown me so much in this last year, both on this front and on other fronts. We have had a year of trial, but GOD IS FAITHFUL!!!!! If you are facing something today that seems overwhelming, let God overwhelm you. Let Him do what you cannot. That has been one of the biggest lessons of this year for me, letting God do what I cannot. He spoke those words to me earlier this year, and I have leaned in close.

So will I be running in Turkey Trot this year as I had hoped? Nope. Not this year. But I am okay with that. And I press on.... GOD IS FAITHFUL!!!!!

Colossians 4:2 "Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."

God has so helped me in the area of prayer in this last year and also being watchful and thankful. I have learned that I can be thankful for all that God has blessed me with, even in pain, even in sorrow, even in hurt. God has been with me through it all. And I am thankful!!!!!

There are changes taking place in our hearts and lives, and our eyes are fixed on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our faith and we are looking forward to where those changes take us in the year ahead and beyond. We press on...

_______________________________________________

So we had Sir Cuteness ~~ I mean Gilligan this weekend =) ~~

ENJOY!!!!! We certainly did!!!!!

How cute is our little Gilligan Sir Cuteness?~~ Seriously, have you ever?!!?!!!! ~~

I love you so ~~ have a Blessed day,

7 comments:

  1. I cant believe its been a year!!!!

    Look at big Sir Cuteness is getting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration, I may have said that already.

    I am enduring a storm right now knowing that God is by my side. Your memory verse and post has given me new hope. Not that I didn't have it already because GOD IS ALWAYS GOOD, but it was that little bit of encouragement I needed to get me through today.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've certainly been through a lot with your knee... but God IS good!

    And... Gilligan is sure growing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn - praising God for your knee but continuing to pray His mercy on it as well!!

    Aren't grandbabies just the best thing ever!!!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your grandson is so adorable! :)

    Praying that your pain starts to lessen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dawn,

    Your post today will be so inspiring to so many women in the very same situation as you. You have given them hope for something better not only in your surgery but through your faith in God in all things. Thank you for being that blessing!

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always struggle to remember to put my faith in God. I mean I know that I should, and say that I will, but then I forget to. Your post will serve as a very good reminder of what happens when all of the faith is put to God's plan.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete