Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Certain Place...

Genesis 28:11 "When he reached a certain place..."

This verse is about Jacob's dream at Bethel. What really struck me about this verse is that Jacob didn't stop until he reached "a certain place". He could have reached any ole place right? Nope. He had to reach "a certain place". A place designated by God to be the place for Jacob that night. There is no indication, however, in Scripture that he was waiting until he reached it, I believe Jacob just stopped for the night. But his steps were ordered of the LORD. He stopped at the place God designated him to stop. But was he aware of the "certain place"? I believe he stopped much like I do in life. Get tired, stop to rest. He stopped because it got dark, he grabbed a stone, put it under his head and fell asleep. It doesn't say he stopped to look at the scenery or to eat supper, it was dark, he stopped, he slept. Little did he know, he was at "a certain place."

I have read this story I don't know how many times, but I never remember feeling the significance of this particular part of the story like I do today. It is important. The writer of Proverbs in 16:9 tells us that "In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps." If you are a child of the King, He is determining your steps. I love that God is ordering my steps. There is comfort and great joy in that. Because quite simply put, my steps are not for me to order, they are indeed for God to order.

I am learning to follow more all the time. I ask God to help me to desire Him more and help me to love Him more. I believe that while I am here I am ever changing and moving and I want those changes to be taking me closer and closer to Him everyday.

Our Associate Pastor preached Sunday out of Numbers when the Israelite's were being guided by the cloud. And they did not move unless the cloud moved. I have thought about that a lot this week. If the cloud stays put, then so must I. If the cloud moves, then pick it up sister, it's time to go. And then God brings me to the "certain place." I have not always realized that the "certain places" are God places. I will be more attentive (another prayer).

I want to live more focused, more alert, more attentive, more determined to serve my Jesus ALL OUT!!!

Father, help me to relish in the "certain places". Help me to be a daughter that pleases Your heart. Thank you for drawing me near to You. You are my hiding place. I love You, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Dawn,

    Such a sweet place to be at in our lives is sitting at God's feet awaiting the opportunity to do His will.


    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete