Friday, September 16, 2011

Hesed

For the last few weeks I have been working on a Bible study from the book of Ruth. It is "The Gospel of Ruth" written by Carolyn Custis James.

It has been a very thought provoking and heart examining book. It has covered such topics as widowhood and infertility, both of which are roads I have journeyed down. They were difficult and sad roads and my heart goes out to anyone who has traversed down these paths. My heart has been tendered by the plights of Ruth, Naomi, Orpah and Boaz. I am learning so much.

I wanted to share with you the rich and beautifully selfless love and care that Boaz showed to our two lovely ladies; Ruth and Naomi. He showed them Hesed. Carolyn describes Hesed:


A little help from Hebrew scholars, we can come a little closer to the meaning of Hesed..... They tell us Hesed is a strong Hebrew word that sums up the ideal lifestyle for God's people. It's the way God intended for human beings to live together from the beginning -- the "love-your-neighbor-as-yourself" brand of living, an active, selfless,sacrificial caring for one another that goes against the grain of our fallen natures."


Wow and does it ever go against our fallen grain doesn't it, but the closer we get to God in our daily lives the closer we are to being able to show Hesed to someone else.

She goes on to say:

"It's actually the kind of love we find most fully expressed in Jesus. In a nutshell, Hesed is the gospel lived out."

I love that. Jesus lived Hesed, kindness, love, pure joy... to it's fullest potential. We are to show that to others. Much like Boaz showed to Ruth and Naomi. In that culture, what Boaz did was truly remarkable. He went far above and beyond what was expected of him. His heart truly went out to the plight of these two women. It moved him to action on their behalf, regardless of what the culture of that time dictated he should do.

I want my love and kindness to exceed what the world that I live in says is enough. No I truly desire to show His kindness and love to the point of Hesed. As a daughter of the King, I must show that kind of kindness to others, because of all He has done for me.

Father,
Thank you for showing me Hesed through Your Son Jesus Christ, who lived Hesed perfectly. He is my example, and I will follow Him to the best of my ability! Thank You for loving me and desiring Your best for my life. I love You so ~~ Amen

1 comment: